Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A time to remember....

Anzac day... It is the one and only Public holiday each year that I agree with... (besides christmas day etc...) but as I stood at the local dawn service with my family, I did wonder for how many more years will we remember... will it just become yet another day off work and school.... will my children set their alarms to wake their own children to attend a service for those who gave so much for our country??? I really hope that they do.... As we tried to explain to Emilie why we where there and what the flowers where and explained why some of the men wore metals on their chest, I do hope that she will respect ANZAC day for what it is..... not just another public holiday.
I was very impressed with the number for people attending the dawn service.. standing room only in the local hall. For the last 50 years there has been a sevice held at Sheep Hills. The local brass band also marched with the returned soliders... something that will also soon come to an end. Most of the band would be in their 70's... at a guess and some have NEVER missed a ANZAC service. True dedication...
A hot breakfast followed and time for the fellowship.... I am sure that some of the people attending only see each other on ANZAC day each year...
I hope everyone reading has had time to reflect and remember why we have ANZAC day and what all of those soliders fought for.. and to say thanks...
LEST WE FORGET...

2 comments:

Ails said...

Wow Kirsty! I totally admire your effort to respect the ANZAC tradition and pass it on to your family. I have no doubt that your children will, in the future, remember these dawn services with you, and like you now, reflect on what those before us fought for and sacrificed to make our country what is it today with their families. There certainly needs to be alot more people like you around.

philippa_moore said...

Kirsty, I too was wondering the same thing. But all the worries I had of ANZAC Day becoming just another public holiday disappeared when I went into the city today - the streets were packed for the parade, lots of people were wearing sprigs of rosemary on their clothes (for rememberance)and at the football match I went to, there was nothing but respect for what the day stood for, and very sobering to realise that the ANZAC spirit is still very much alive in Melbourne....

Your children are very lucky to have parents like you and Jack, to instill these traditions in them and to keep the history alive.